Skip to main content

Treating Wasp and Bee Stings

Most wasp and bee stings are unpleasant but not life threatening. However, some people are allergic to bee and wasp stings. If you are allergic to bee or wasp stings and have been stung, or if you believe you are experiencing an allergic reaction, seek medical attention immediately.

If you’ve been stung by a bee, remove the stinger(s) from your skin as quickly as you can. Try not to crush or squeeze the bee or stinger – this will just release more venom. You may want to use a credit card or other stiff material to scrape the stinger out of your skin.

If you have been stung around your face or mouth, or have multiple stings, seek medical attention.

More information on first aid for bee and wasp stings can be found on WebMD.

 

Page last reviewed: June 17, 2021

Join our mailing list