Vector Control Aide (Seasonal) I/II
Vector Control Aide I/II (Seasonal) employees, under direct supervision of the Assistant Manager, Field Operations Supervisor or Vector Control Technicians shall carry out routine inspections of residences in areas known to have the Aedes aegypti mosquito, and/or complete field work entailing inspection and larvicidal treatment of creeks, catch basins, drains, salt marsh areas, miscellaneous sources, and stocking mosquito fish in backyard ponds. These positions also include preparing materials and equipment for work assignments, service requests, clearing access ways, some drainage maintenance, general maintenance, housekeeping, and assistance with frequent or routine needs. Seasonal employees are required to work dependably and cooperatively with others, maintain and appreciate safety precautions, and operate some specialized equipment. Seasonal employees may operate right-hand drive vehicles.
- High School Graduate
- 18 Years of age or over
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license; must be insurable by the District’s automobile liability insurance program and must maintain a valid driver’s license and insurability throughout employment at the District.
- Preference will be given to those currently holding California Department of Public Health Vector Control Technician A,B certifications
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background check and drug test, as well as a physical ability test.
- Seeks out and samples mosquito sources, maintains records of specific actions, and submits samples for identification
- Report findings and conditions conducive to mosquito breeding in a timely manner to aid in the effective treatment of problem areas
- Apply pesticides, under supervision, to identified sources, using IPM practices
- Stocking mosquito fish in residential back yard water features including ponds and pools
- Safely apply pesticides to effectively treat ground nesting yellow jacket nests
- Read and understand the information contained in MSDS’s and labels
- Accurately inform the public about the basic services of the District when working in the field
- Variety of equipment functions, station and some facility maintenance
- Revise and update operational maps of zones and treatment areas in the District, relevant to vector control operations, and otherwise assists in collecting and compiling data
- Keep supervisors informed of progress and problems, and request assistance as required
- Inspection of catch basins, creeks, drains, salt marsh areas, or other sources; may require clearing access ways and some drainage maintenance
- Read maps and navigate city streets, open spaces, and other terrain to locate job site while driving right hand drive vehicle
- Seasonal employees may operate a right-hand drive vehicle and may inspect catch basins, creeks, drains, salt marsh areas, or other sources. Employee may also be required to clear access ways and perform some drainage maintenance
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $18.00 – $23.00 per hour, depending on experience. Hourly rate will be determined at the time of hiring. Seasonal employees do not receive medical or other employee benefits; however they are entitled to paid District holidays and sick leave in accordance with state law. All legally required benefits are provided, including workers compensation.
Inquiries should be directed to Brian Weber, Assistant Manager at (650) 344-8592.
Applications and resumes will be accepted until all positions are filled. The District encourages applicants to apply early to be considered. All applications and resumes should be submitted in person or by mail at the District’s office in Burlingame before 4:00pm daily.
Applications and resumes should be mailed to the following:
San Mateo County Mosquito and Vector Control District
Attn: Human Resources
1351 Rollins Road
Burlingame, CA 94010
Please include a copy of your most recent California DMV Report (within the last 30 days) with your application.