Seasonal Aedes Surveillance Technician
Job Opening – Seasonal Aedes Surveillance Technician
Position: Seasonal Aedes Surveillance Technician
Wage: $18.00 per hour
Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
Benefits: Paid District Holidays
Dates: April/May thru October/November (season length varies)
Under direction from the Vector Ecologist, perform surveillance for invasive Aedes mosquitoes and expand the countywide trapping program to increase the number of sites surveyed for these mosquitoes.
- Minimum education equivalent to a high school graduate.
- BS or BA degree from an accredited College or University preferred.
- Ability to use a dissecting microscope.
- Ability to use of a binomial key to identify insects or other organisms.
- Intermediate level experience in using computers software including Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Valid California Driver’s License and ability to qualify for coverage under the District’s insurance with the Vector Control Joint Powers Agency. A district vehicle will be provided for this work.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background check and drug test, as well as a physical ability test.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive to sites throughout San Mateo County to place and retrieve oviposition traps (ovicups) at selected sites (mostly cemeteries and nurseries).
- Check and maintain Autocidal Gravid Oviposition (AGO) traps for adult Aedes mosquitoes at sites throughout the county.
- Deploy and collect BG Sentinel traps to detect invasive Aedes mosquitoes in the vicinity of imported human cases of mosquito-borne disease.
- Inspect ovicup filter paper for Aedes mosquito eggs in the laboratory using a dissecting microscope.
- Plot trap locations using mapping software and enter data from trap collections in the District’s MapVision Database program.
- Package and send egg samples to Davis Arbovirus Research and Training (DART) for analysis and identification to species.
- Assist laboratory staff with rearing of Aedes eggs to confirm species.
- Assist laboratory staff on identification of adult mosquitoes using a dissection microscope
- Aide with any additional duties related to surveillance and identification of invasive Aedes mosquitoes
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary for this position is $18.00 per hour. Employees do not receive medical or other employee benefits; however they are entitled to paid District holidays. Workers compensation is provided and employees are protected under the Workers Compensation Laws of California.
Direct all inquiries to Warren Macdonald, Vector Ecologist at (650) 344-8592.
Deadline to receive applications is April 26, 2017 4:30pm.
Applications can be submitted in person, by mail, and by email. Please submit all hard copy applications and resumes in person or by mail at the District’s office in Burlingame before 4:30pm daily. Email applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain an application, visit our website at http://www.smcmvcd.org/employment
Mail applications and resumes to the following:
San Mateo County Mosquito and Vector Control District
Attn: Warren Macdonald, Vector Ecologist
1351 Rollins Road
Burlingame, CA 94010