Job Announcement: Vector Ecologist
Position: Vector Ecologist
Filing Period: September 25, 2020 until filled, but will not close before October 16, 2020
Annual Salary Range: $83,616 to $120,578
Benefits: Full benefits package (retirement, medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick leave, long term disability)
Probation: The position is subject to a six-month probationary period
Status: Regular full time
Application: Applications and resumes may be filed online, by mail, or in person at the District office by 4pm on or before the filing deadline. To obtain an application, go to www.smcmvcd.org
San Mateo County Mosquito and Vector Control District
Attn: Angie Nakano, Laboratory Director
1351 Rollins Road
Burlingame, CA 94010
Under direct supervision of the Laboratory Director, plan and conduct vector-borne disease surveillance programs including field surveys, insect identification, processing and preparation of samples, molecular testing, maintenance of mosquito colony, and maintenance of lab and field equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Includes but is not limited to:
- Planning and participating in a multi-disciplinary vector-borne disease surveillance program
- Perform insect identification and processing of organisms including animal bleeding and submission of specimens for analysis
- Utilize databases for lab vector surveillance program, vector control operations, and preparing reports
- Evaluate the effectiveness of pesticides through laboratory and field assays
- Present research outcomes at regional or national scientific conferences
- Maintain live mosquito colony and reference insect and mammal collections
- Coordinate biohazardous waste removal per state regulations
- Participate in maintenance of laboratory and field equipment
- Conduct routine inventory of expendable supplies and restock new material when necessary
- Participate in public health educational programs
- Computer data entry and analysis
Qualified applicants must have a Master of Science or Master of Arts degree in the field of entomology, biology, ecology, or a related field from an accredited College or University; or a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree and five years of relevant professional experience.
- Knowledgeable in standard laboratory procedures.
- Knowledge and skill in molecular testing techniques is desired.
- Communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing; ability to create and perform presentations and prepare scientific manuscripts.
- Possess skill in the use of binomial keys for the identification of mosquitoes and other vectors, and the use of dissecting and compound microscopes.
- Ability to think critically, keep and compile records and prepare written reports, to work cooperatively and effectively with other employees and the public, and to evaluate situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to use standard business computer hardware, mobile devices, and related software applications, including databases, statistical software, and Microsoft Office products.
- Valid California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record insurable under the guidelines of the Vector Control Joint Powers Agency.
- Individuals appointed to the position must obtain certificates of competency issued by the State of California Department of Health Services entitled “Certificate Technician – Mosquito Control”, “Terrestrial Invertebrate Vector Control”, “Vertebrate Vector Control” (Licenses A, B, C, D) as a condition of continued employment within one year of their original date of hire. Certification must be maintained throughout employment.
- Incumbents may be exposed to toxic and hazardous substances, venomous insects, vectors and vector-borne diseases, rough terrain, inclement weather conditions, vicious animals, poisonous plants and animals, and may deal with irate or antagonistic individuals.
- Incumbents must be physically able to perform manual labor, lift objects of up to 50 pounds, walk long distances, traverse rough terrain, work under harsh weather conditions, and operate specialized vector control equipment.
- Ability to demonstrate measurable visual depth perception and color vision; have a minimum of single ear aided hearing.
- Ability to demonstrate physical stamina to frequently operate a motor vehicle; show coordination of eye/hand/foot; use fine manipulation by hand.
- Ability to regularly stand for extended periods of time; sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to wear protective equipment such as respirators, hip waders, bee suits and rubber boots, as needed.
- Ability to work alone at times and/or without direct supervision.
- Ability to tolerate insect bites and bee stings.
- Ability to work with animal blood.
- May be required to be vaccinated for various disease to which employee may be exposed in the course of work.
- Ability to occasionally walk on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to periodically traverse uneven ground such as fields, dirt banks, stream beds, and shallow ponds carrying equipment and materials up to 50 lbs.; operate specialized equipment such as boats, all-terrain vehicles, and other mechanized equipment; carry items; perform repetitive motion associated with computer usage; climb a ladder and operate spray equipment; bend; twist; crawl, balance; lift; push; perform simple grasping; power grip; squat/crouch; kneel; reach; climb; pull.
Periodically = 25% of the time; Occasionally = 25 – 50% of the time; Regularly = 50 – 75% of the time; Frequently = 75 – 100% of the time.
Applicants selected for interviews will be based on a qualifying evaluation of training, education, and experience shown in the application information. Those candidates selected for interviews will receive a paneled oral interview to assess training, experience and ability to perform the duties of the position. All candidates will be subject to a complete criminal background check and pre-employment drug test as part of the examination process.
Interested parties who meet the qualifications must submit a District Application. Resumes alone will not be accepted, but may be included with the application. The filing period for this job announcement may close at any time but not before October 16, 2020.
To obtain an application, click here.